Show Side Menu


Do you help a family memberfriend or neighbour who needs support because the person

  • Is frail
  • Has a long term health condition
  • Has a physical disability
  • Has a learning disability
  • Has a chronic illness
  • Has a mental illness that means they need support to cope
  • Has a substance misuse problem with drugs or alcohol

Your Doctor needs to know if you are caring for someone. You or the person you care for might need extra support for example if you need to go into hospital for your own needs or you are unwell.  Carers have extra health risks for example back and neck injuries, stress related conditions, recurrent viral conditions and nutritional problems.  If you have a query regarding caring please speak with one of our receptionists.

You are entitled to a free flu vaccination each autumn, please ask at reception

There is help and support if you are a carer, you can speak to someone about caring by telephoning NHS Carers Direct on 0808 802 0202.  Advisors on the service will call you back if necessary. They speak over 100 different languages.

‚ÄčJoin your local Carer’s Information Service  This service will send you a regular newsletter about services and support available for carers including those which help you get a break from caring.  Many services are free even if you have private funds.  You may miss out on things that you are entitled to if you do not join this service. Please find attached relevant information.

You or the person you care for may be entitled to benefits. Some benefits are not means tested so even if you have private funds you may still be able to claim.  Get advice from NHS Carers Direct 0808 802 0202, or ask at your local Citizens Advice Bureau or the Department of Work and Pensions.

Get a break from caring.  It will help you and the person you care for to stay healthy if you get enough rest and a break from each other now and again.  There are local day activities for carers, grants available for short breaks and ways to get a longer break if you need it.  There is a subsidised service for replacement care if the person that you care for cannot be left alone. 

Plan ahead, so that if you have an emergency or are unwell the person that you care for will be looked after. You can register for the Carer’s in Crisis Service.  You need to do this now, rather than when you have an emergency as registration can take 3 to 4 weeks. Once the plan is set up you will have the peace of mind of knowing that help is just a phone call away if you ever need it.

Contact Information

Click here to download contact information for support for Carers.

Your Neighbourhood Professionals. Just a Click Away!
Southwell House, Back Lane Rochford, Essex, SS4 1AY
Website supplied by Oldroyd Publishing Group
Your Neighbourhood Professionals. Just a Click Away!
Back to top